SMT returned to the streets of New York to support the 50th Annual TCS New York City Marathon with on-site video display production and delivery solutions.
This year marked the seventh year that SMT has partnered with race organizer, the New York Road Runners, to provide video display productions and a clock and score interface for the TCS NYC Marathon and the 12th year that SMT has provided its improved graphics and broadcast technology, this year on behalf of Film 45 and IMG, producers of the TCS New York City Marathon.
From the opening ceremony at the marathon pavilion to the points along the 26.2 mile run, SMT’s video screens kept the estimated 30,000 runners and one million spectators continually updated and inspired by racing and entertainment content, including:
- TCS Runfographics, an informative illustration series featuring historical running facts, information and data
- Live rankings
- Broadcast and social media feeds
- NYRR Sponsors and Public Service Messages
- SMT’s Journey to the Marathon platform in which inspirational stories of select runners are told through lower third and full screen graphics and videos
On race day, the SMTs team produced a live broadcast for the TCS NYCM Final Finisher’s celebration, capturing the euphoria of the last marathon finishers as they made their way to the finish line alongside two 80 foot LED track panels that greeted runners with SMT race content products. A 25-foot ribbon hanging from the photo bridge displayed the runners’ times for each of the waves.
“The TCS New York Marathon is a huge production, and we’re excited to be back this year to capture all the excitement, statistics and human interest stories to share with participants and spectators,” said Ian McMahan, Event Project Manager, SMT. “This year, the 50th run was particularly poignant as athletes around the world finally had the chance to fulfill their dream of running the TCS New York Marathon after last year’s cancellation. Our goal was to capture the essence of the race, from the thrill of the fun TCS Run with Champions to the Abbott Dash to the 5K finish line to the opening ceremony and emotional celebration of the final arrival.
The TCS New York City Marathon was broadcast live on ABC7 / WABC-TV in New York City and on ESPN2 nationwide.
SMT broadcast elements included:
- Race Crawls for national and international broadcast partners, with tombstones on the lower screen that show the current position of elite men and women, wheelchair athletes and the names of participants as they cross the line arrival
- Talent prompters who provide historical and relevant data to commentators and production teams
- TCS statistics interface that displays full-page panels of relevant race information